I wrote this pattern with instructions to use eight fat quarters to make the chevron blocks. To give your quilt even more variety you may also
use jelly rolls or layer cakes.
- With the layer cake you would cut 2 1/2” and 2 7/8” strips.
- Sew the 2 1/2” colored strips together in a variety of combinations and cut into the 2 1/2” x 4 1/2” units (four from each strip).
- Make 96.
- Cut the 2 7/8” strips into 2 7/8” squares (three from each strip).
- You will need 44.
- From the jelly roll you need twenty-four 2 1/2” x 21” strips to make the twelve strip sets.
To Make Half Square Triangles:
- Sew a 2 1/2” colored strip to a 2/1/2” background strip right sides together on both edges.
- Lay your ruler with the 2 1/2” mark diagonally on the stitched line and cut.
- Flip the ruler and cut from the opposite stitched line.
- Make 88.
- Remember to use at least eight different colored strips to keep a variety.
You can also check out this YouTube video from Patch-work Posse that demonstrates how to do it.